HR & Office Administrator
Position Title: HR & Office Administrator
Location: Washington, DC
The Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington (AGSIW), launched in 2015, is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to providing expert research and analysis of the social, economic, and political dimensions of the Gulf Arab states and how they impact domestic and foreign policy. AGSIW focuses on issues ranging from politics and security to economics, trade, and business; from social dynamics to civil society and culture. Through programs, publications, and scholarly exchanges the institute seeks to encourage thoughtful debate and inform the U.S. policy community regarding this critical geostrategic region.
About the Candidate
The institute is seeking an exceptionally organized, highly motivated individual with experience in human resources, business administration, and office management functions to join a growing organization with a current team of 16 full- and part-time professionals and an annual budget of approximately $3.5 million. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, who is just as comfortable working autonomously as with a team.
The HR & Office Administrator serves in a dual role involving the full spectrum of both human resource management and office management responsibilities in support of the institute’s overall mission and objectives. The position is responsible for performing HR-related duties in the functional areas of benefit administration, employee relations, recruitment, onboarding, policy implementation, and employment-law compliance. The position is also responsible for administrative duties, IT management, vendor management, and facilities management.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
Human Resource Management (50 percent)
- Coordinate all AGSIW administrative efforts related to recruitment, onboarding, and termination for employees, interns, and visiting scholars.
- Create and maintain master HR files; ensure paperwork is complete and compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Administer AGSIW health benefits and retirement plans, including plan selection and open enrollment administration, change reporting, invoicing review/approval; liaise with third-party brokers on benefit plan setup and administration.
- Administer HR policies and procedures and assist with updates to employee handbook.
- Assist AGSIW staff with HR-related questions and issues and provide periodic communication of benefit information to employees.
General Office Administration (40 percent)
- Manage day-to-day office operations; maintain office activity calendar; supervise and coordinate overall office activities and provide administrative support to the executive leadership.
- Manage relationship with building management; coordinate office maintenance and repairs, tenant relations, and office security.
- Supervise the acquisition and maintenance of computer equipment, furniture, and supplies in accordance with the institute’s purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions.
- Identify and oversee services with commercial vendors for all of the institute’s operational requirements, including equipment, computer services, and office security.
Information Technology Management (10 percent)
- Provide first-level end-user computer support, including equipment setup, periodic computer configurations, and Office365 administration (SharePoint, email accounts).
- Monitor computer and network security and coordinate with IT vendor to promptly address any issues.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field
- At least 5 years of combined office management and human resource experience
- Solid understanding of federal and state employment regulations
- Working knowledge of office administrative and HR procedures and business systems (such as HRMS, timekeeping, fixed asset management, etc.)
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and solid proficiency in other MS Office applications, specifically in Adobe/Word/Outlook
- Strong business acumen
- Written and oral communication skills
- Interpersonal skills and customer service orientation
- Planning, prioritizing, and organizing
- Problem assessment and problem solving
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Flexibility and adaptability
Salary commensurate with experience. AGSIW offers a competitive benefits package, including employer paid health and dental coverage, retirement plan contributions, and paid time off.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references to: email@example.com. Must have authorization to work in the United States.
AGSIW is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law. No phone calls please.
Through its careful examination of the forces shaping the evolution of Gulf societies and the new generation of emerging leaders, AGSIW facilitates a richer understanding of the role the countries in this key geostrategic region can be expected to play in the 21st century.Learn More